Will Durant, “Our Oriental Heritage: The Story of Civilization”, 1935 was the topic of an earlier blog post.
वाल्मीकि Valmiki, “Ramayana”; and, व्यासः Vyasa, “Mahabharata”, Indian 6th century BC epics were the topic of an earlier blog post also.
Here I present: Homer ( Ὅμηρος ), “The Odyssey: The Voyage of Odysseus ( Ὀδύσσεια )“, 9th ~ 8th century BC which was a Greek epic.
The book consists of four parts (A – D) of which there are 24 books.
Part A. Books 1-4. The adventures of Telemachus.
- Athena, Telemachus, Penelope & the Suitors.
- Departure of Telemachus.
- Nestor’s Tale: The Return.
- Menellaus’ Tale: The Returns.
Part B. Books 5-8. Odysseus leaves Calypso and arrives in Phaeacia.
5. Odysseus & Calypso (Raft of Odysseus).
6. Odysseus & Naucicaa.
7. Odysseus & Arete.
8. Games & Feast of the Phaeacians.
Part C. Books 9-12. A FLASHBACK in which Odysseus tells the Phaesians of his adventures.
9. Odysseus’ Tale: Lotus-eaters & Cyclops.
10. Odysseus’ Tale: Aeolus, Laestrygones & Circe.
11. Odysseus’ Tale: The Underworld.
12. Odysseus’ Tale: Siren, Scylla & Helius.
Part D. Books 13-24. Odysseus’ landing on Ithaca, the battle with the suitors, the final recognition, and reunion with Penelope and Laertes.
13. Return to Ithaca.
14. Odysseus & Eumaeus.
15. Return of Telemachus, Odysseus & Eumaeus.
16. Odysseus & Telemachus.
17. Odysseus the Beggar I.
18. Odysseus the Beggar II.
19. Odysseus & Penelope I.
20. Contest of the Suitors I.
21. Contest of the Suitors II.
22. Slaying of the Suitors.
23. Odysseus & Penelope II.
24. Ghost of the Dead Odysseus & Laertes.
The protagonist is “Odysseus” who is the king of Ithaca, GREECE. The story is of Odysseus ten year jouney home; after the Troy city, GREECE “Trojan War” (also ten years long). Odysseus was assumed dead by his wife “Penelope” & his son “Telemachus”
Here I presented: Homer ( Ὅμηρος ), “The Odyssey: The Voyage of Odysseus ( Ὀδύσσεια )“, 9th ~ 8th century BC which was a Greek epic.